Islam is one of the fastest-growing religions in the world, with an estimated 1.98 billion followers in 2022. Based on this estimation, it is safe to assume that Muslims comprise 24.9% of the world’s population. Seeing how big of a deal Islam and its followers are, is one of many reasons why the religion continues to gain more followers daily. Despite many converting to Islam, many have questions about the process. If you like many are looking at how to become Muslim, you are at the right place. This blog will highlight how Islam deals with accepting people from other faiths, and more.
Can Anyone Accept Islam?
First and foremost, it is worth noting that Islam has an open-door policy for everyone and does not discriminate based on color, status, creed, etc. Perhaps, this is one of the significant reasons why Islam has gained a massive following since its inception.
Since Islam focuses on one’s deeds instead of color, status, and creed, people are given an equal footing in this world and the hereafter. This alone is reason enough for anyone to accept Islam in all its glory.
Islam is for the entirety of humanity, and its purpose is to guide the righteous and bring people together. Simply put, anyone can accept Islam, even those that have sinned greatly. Remember, God is the Most Gracious and the Most Merciful, and he is willing to forgive anyone as long as they realize their mistake and beg for his forgiveness.
How to Become Muslim: Converting to Islam
The word Muslim means submitting to God. If you are wondering how to become a Muslim, you will be pleased to know it is an effortless process. Anyone can become a Muslim by reciting the Shahada.
The Shahada is the declaration of one’s faith and commitment towards Almighty God and accepting Prophet Muhammad (Peace be Upon Him) as the last Messenger of God. The Shahada in Arabic is as follows:
“La Ilaha illa Allah, Muhammadur Rasool Allah”.
When an individual recites the Shahada with understanding and conviction, they become a Muslim. However, apart from reciting the Shahada, every Muslim must fulfill certain obligations as a part of their faith. For starters, Muslims need to abide by the Five Pillars of Islam, which are:
- Shahada – Belief in One God and that Prophet Muhammad (Peace be Upon Him) is the last Messenger of God.
- Salah – Praying Five Times Daily (Fajr, Zuhr, Asr, Maghrib, and Isha)
- Zakat – Giving Alms to the Poor
- Sawm – Fasting during Ramadan
- Hajj – Pilgrimage to Mecca
Apart from the Five Pillars of Islam, Muslims are to follow the Prophet’s Sunnah to ensure they stay righteous, which can include speaking the truth, being honest, remaining pure, abstaining from temptation, and so on. A Muslim must also believe in the following:
- The Holy Quran and its teachings.
- The Day of Judgment and Resurrection.
- God’s Prophets before Prophet Muhammad (Peace Be Upon Him)
- God’s sole dominion over the Universe and beyond.
As complicated as all of this may seem, it will come naturally to you if you genuinely believe in God and wish to please him. If you are wondering how to become a better Muslim, the steps above are all it takes!
Why Convert to Islam?
Converting to Islam is a big step for anyone, and it has a lot of merit for those that make this choice out of their own free will. Most importantly, it has many benefits that go unnoticed, such as:
- You will be able to create a direct bond and relationship with God. By worshipping God alone, without a middle man, one will be more independent as they will rely only on God’s assistance in all matters.
- You will have a purpose in life, as Islam answers all questions and situations.
- You will find inner peace and be content with your life and everything God has blessed you with.
- Once you have converted to Islam, your past sins will be forgiven. Essentially, you will start a new life, and you can repent for any mistakes made as long as you ensure it does not happen again.
- The biggest reward is the promise of Heaven by God. By following God’s commandments and worshipping him alone. Muslims will live eternal lives in Heaven without sadness, pain, or sickness. Heaven will have all kinds of pleasures that nobody has seen, heard, or imagined before.
Hopefully, the information provided above will answer all of your questions regarding how to become Muslim. If you have converted to Islam, pat yourself on your back, as you are on a righteous path that will allow you to live a peaceful life here and in the hereafter.
If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to comment below!